The changing face of piracy
In this IIL claims webinar, Richard Neylon provides an update on issues in maritime piracy. In particular, the ever-prevailing threat of piracy off the coast of West Africa and the Gulf of Guinea especially.
In this session, the speaker discusses some notable examples of West African piracy, including some of the many ransom cases that were handled by him and his firm. An assessment of the insurance effects of piracy and recommendations to be considered by the insurance industry to meet these challenges are also addressed.
Using some real-life examples, Richard highlights the unique circumstances posed by a risk first romanticised during the 17th century and which continues to affect both the modern-day shipping and insurance industries to this present day.
- The current status of West African piracy, including the latest statistics and recorded instances
- The modus operandi of West African piracy and a comparison with Somali Piracy
- The safety and operational implications resulting from piracy
- The methods and challenges for resolving instances of piracy, including the payment of ransoms
- How West African piracy is insured, including marine war, marine liability and kidnap and ransom insurance
- Online event
You will be sent a confirmation email shortly after booking. If you have not received this within one hour, please contact Patricia Pedraza (020 7397 3911).
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
1 hour's CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.