The FCA business interruption test case - one year on
The Young Members’ Committee has partnered with specialist law insurance firm, Weightmans LLP, to deliver a series of webinars with unique insights dedicated to supporting career development and help consider, digest, and maximise the opportunities that are likely to arise in insurance in a rapidly changing world.
In this follow-up YMC webinar organised by the Young Members' Committee in collaboration with Weightmans LLP, Pamela Freeland and Sarah Irwin consider the impact of the Supreme Court's decision in the business interruption Test Case one year on from the handing down of the judgment.
The Test Case was brought by the FCA (as regulator) for and on behalf of policyholders against eight insurers with the court tasked with considering whether sample wordings provided cover for losses arising from Covid-19 and the Government's response to the outbreak.
In this webinar, Weightmans:
- Summarise the background to the Test Case and the key elements of the Supreme Court decision
- Consider the progress which has been made by insurers when handling and dealing with BI claims for Covid-related losses and analyse the assistance which has been provided by the Test Case
- Review and provide an update on the approach taken by the FOS when considering complaints concerning coverage for Covid-related BI claims
- Summarise any critical updates from the courts when assessing key issues in BI claims which were not resolved by the Test Case and determining whether any significant battlegrounds remain
- The background to, and the key issues determined, in the FCA Test Case and the Supreme Court's judgment
- The progress made in handling and concluding Covid-related business interruption claims and how the Test Case has enabled the insurance sector to investigate such claims
- The impact of the Supreme Court judgment and key developments and themes one year on from both the FOS and the courts
Please contact Gemma Warren (07436 263847) with any queries regarding this event.
- Online event
You will be sent a confirmation email shortly after booking. If you have not received this within one hour, please contact Gemma Warren (07436 263847).
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
1 hour's CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.