What Certification means for you
In this IIL workshop, aimed at those who are newly or recently appointed to Certification roles, you will learn about the nature of the responsibilities placed on you by the regulatory regime and it will equip you to meet your obligations under the Senior Managers and Certification Regime (SMCR).
One of the principal aspects of the SMCR is the concept of Certification. This addresses the regulatory oversight of a range of specific functions that can have a significant impact on customers, the firm and/or market integrity. Certification Functions include retail investment advisers and mortgage advisers as well as those who have significant management responsibility for business units. Although Certification Functions require an enhanced level of individual accountability, appointments to these roles take place without regulatory approval because they lie beyond the scope of the Senior Managers Regime.
This workshop will cover the topics below:
- SMCR and the focus on individual accountability
- The obligations of Certification on firms and individuals
- How fit and proper status is determined
- The annual fit and proper review and maintaining competence
- The scope and application of the Conduct Rules to Certified Staff
- Conduct Rules and their implications for managers and team leaders
- Implications of the Directory
- Changing roles and regulatory references
- How to ensure you meet your personal obligations
By the end of this workshop members would have gained an insight into:
- Explaining the concept certification and the obligations it creates
- Recognising the process of assessing, confirming, and reviewing fit and proper status
- Explaining the aim of the conduct rules and how they impact those in certification roles
- Identifying practical steps you can take to ensure that you comply with the requirements
- Recognising the potential impact of non-compliance
Due to the interactivity of the event, places are limited (14) and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
This webinar will be hosted on Microsoft Teams. Please familiarise yourself with their T&Cs and Privacy Statement.
The Cattellyst Consultancy is a member of the Association of Professional Compliance Consultants, where Charles Cattell serves on working groups addressing regulatory oversight of culture and the implementation and development of the SMCR.
- Online event
You will be sent a confirmation email shortly after booking. If you have not received this within one hour, please contact Patricia Pedraza (020 7397 3911).
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
2 hours' CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.