The Human Factor - man made energy losses and their causation
In this IIL marine & energy lecture Robert Glynn discussed various energy related losses in detail, explaining how people's actions either caused or exacerbated these incidents.
After natural perils events, human failings are deemed to be the second largest cause of significant loss events. Whether these occur simply by the disregarding of procedures; not understanding the situation that was being presented; using novel ideas; failures in quality assurance and control; failures in design; lack of appropriate training, etc., there are many ways that human actions can lead to disasters.
This lecture showed how these losses occurred and what lessons can be learnt from them.
By the end of this lecture members would have gained an insight into:
- How human actions can lead to catastrophe
- The importance of appropriate training
- The reasons why procedures are developed and should be followed
- Why it is important to have experienced personnel involved in all decision making
Hugh Burnett, Price Forbes.
Registration & Security
IIL lectures are open to CII and PFS members
CII and PFS members must register online by 12pm one working day before the lecture
For lectures held in The Old Library, Lloyd's pass holders may also attend and do not need to register
All attendees (at any venue) must produce photo ID - either a Lloyd's pass, driving licence with photo or valid passport
- Email confirmations and photo ID must be produced to security staff at the lecture venue
- Attendance confirmations are non-transferable to any other person or lecture
- All venues have limited capacity and registration and/or a Lloyd's pass does not guarantee admission
Please let us know what we can do to make our events fully accessible to you.
Please contact Patricia Pedraza (020 7397 3911) with any queries regarding the CPD events programme.
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
1 hour's CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.