How to spot liars
In this IIL claims lecture Phillip Maltin will survey the weaknesses in the claims of body language experts about how to spot liars. He will then summarise science-based techniques that can expose dishonesty.
Most people correctly identify liars at about chance levels, 50-50. In this entertaining presentation, Philip focuses on techniques grounded in science useful for uncovering dishonesty using the four-step "READ System". The program focuses on where behaviour supplements skilful questioning when determining whether a person is telling the truth.
By the end of this lecture members would have gained an insight into:
- The pseudo-science behind ost body language interpretations
- The exaggerated claims regarding the accuracy of voice stress analysis systems
- Cues of deception validated by research
- How to question people to uncover the most information of the highest quality
- The effective technique for accurately determining whether a person is lying
Richard Salmon FCII, Head of Claims, Nexus Group
Registration & Security
IIL lectures are open to CII and PFS members
CII and PFS members must register online by 2pm one working day before the lecture
For lectures held in The Old Library, Lloyd's pass holders may also attend and do not need to register
All attendees (at any venue) must produce photo ID - either a Lloyd's pass, driving licence with photo or valid passport
- Email confirmations and photo ID must be produced to security staff at the lecture venue
- Attendance confirmations are non-transferable to any other person or lecture
- All venues have limited capacity and registration and/or a Lloyd's pass does not guarantee admission
Please let us know what we can do to make our events fully accessible to you.
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
1 hour's CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.