The litigation risks of climate change
In this IIL accident lecture Richard Lord QC gave an overview of the legal risk to insurers associated with climate change and responses (or lack of responses) to it.
This covered general environmental product liability as well as D&O liability arising from physical, financial and legal risks associated with climate change for various industry sectors - and illustrated with some recent developments in climate change related litigation. These included actions against carbon majors for compensation for climate change damage, and actions by regulators or shareholders against companies or pension funds for inadequate disclosures of climate change risks.
By the end of this lecture members would have gained an insight into:
- Why climate change poses both risks and opportunities, from a legal perspective, to insurers
- How legal liability can arise in numerous different ways for different actors and stakeholders in various industry sectors
- How insurers can gain insight into potential exposure from climate change related litigation
Graeme Baird, Partner, Kennedys.
Registration & Security
IIL lectures are open to Lloyd's pass holders and CII and PFS/SMP members.
CII members must register online by 10.30am on the day of the lecture.
Lloyd's pass holders do not need to register for lectures held in The Old Library.
All attendees must produce photo ID - either a Lloyd's pass, driving licence with photo or valid passport.
- Email confirmations and photo ID must be produced to security staff at the lecture venue
- Attendance confirmations are non-transferable to any other person or lecture
- All venues have limited capacity and registration and/or a Lloyd's pass does not guarantee admission
Please let us know what we can do to make our events fully accessible to you.
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
3/4 hours' CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.