Why working families are being sold an impossible dream about work/life balance
In this IIL inclusion & diversity lecture Christine Armstrong discussed the huge childcare costs; reduced earning power; diminished status and the discrimination parents suffer when returning to work after having a baby.
Christine explained that we have to make this not about mums but about how family units operate. One of the hardest things to figure out is how to manage this as a family; some of us have partners who can't or don't want to see childcare as their business, and others have partners who really do want to be involved but feel too pressured by work to be as present as they want to be. Either way, to make this work, we have to change the social structures that support both parents being involved in actively raising children.
By the end of this lecture members would have gained an insight into the need for:
- Decent and affordable childcare
- Sensible working hours. Not 'flexible' hours that really mean a full working day. Instead some sort of link between the school day and the working day
- For all companies to make public all maternity/paternity policies
Lynsey Cross, COO, AmTrust.
Registration & Security
IIL lectures are open to CII and PFS members
CII and PFS members must register online by 10.30am on the day of the lecture
For lectures held in The Old Library, Lloyd's pass holders may also attend and do not need to register
All attendees (at any venue) must produce photo ID - either a Lloyd's pass, driving licence with photo or valid passport
- Email confirmations and photo ID must be produced to security staff at the lecture venue
- Attendance confirmations are non-transferable to any other person or lecture
- All venues have limited capacity and registration and/or a Lloyd's pass does not guarantee admission
Please let us know what we can do to make our events fully accessible to you.
This demonstrates the quality of an event and that it meets CII member CPD scheme requirements.
3/4 hours' CPD can be claimed for this event if relevant to your learning and development needs.
It is recommended that you keep any evidence of the CPD activity you have completed and upload copies to the recording tool as the CII may ask to see this if your record is selected for review. Details of the scheme can be viewed online at www.cii.co.uk/cpd.