Thu 5 Jul. 2018
We're all in!
Anticipating the future and ensuring our organisations are ready for it is an inherent part of being a leader. We have an opportunity to shape the wider profession as part of a leadership legacy, particularly when it comes to what kind of culture we aspire to create.
We need diverse teams in order to ensure that we deliver the best possible solutions for our customers’ risk and insurance needs. As an industry we are making progress on diversity and inclusion, but there are undesirable behaviours in pockets of the industry that cannot be tolerated if we are to truly attract the best talent.
By setting the standard for inclusive behaviours from the top, and doing so as a collective, we will support the profession in attracting the brightest talent and enable our people to contribute to their fullest.
To deliver on this vision, we commit to ensure that, when interacting with our employees, everyone can expect to:
- be treated with respect, courtesy and dignity
- be treated in a manner free from discrimination and objectification
- not be harassed, bullied or victimised
- be dealt with in an honest, transparent and legal way
We expect the same behaviours from those we work with and will take action to address any circumstances falling below our expectations.
As an organisation we will take action if:
- our employees are harassed in any way, either by fellow employees, suppliers, customers or business partners
- our employees are treated differently or discriminated against due to age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, race, religion/belief, gender or sexual orientation
- there is any abuse of position or seniority, particularly when directed at those more vulnerable or more junior than ourselves
As leaders we also commit to:
- ensure our organisations have a clear procedure for reporting any inappropriate or discriminatory behaviour
- regularly communicate on the importance of inclusive behaviours
- ensure there are significant repercussions for the perpetrators of such behaviour
- lead by example and ensure all fellow employees in our businesses do the same
- call out inappropriate behaviour or discrimination, even when it is uncomfortable to do so. We will not be bystanders.
For more information and to make your own pledge, sign up here.